Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Stupidity At Obedience School and Harley

And I'm not talking about the dogs.

Oh, don't get me wrong. There is certainly a fair share of ignorant canines amongst the group. Oh yes, but if the old story about dogs being like their owners is true, then honestly, these poor pooches don't have a chance. Or is it the other way around?

Either way, some of these people AND their dogs are doomed.

I know what some of you are saying? What the heck were you doing 8 months pregnant at Obedience School with the 100 lb. Beast, anyway, right? Actually, I was asking myself that as well. Oi.

As it would turn out, my wonderful hubby (Monk) had to go on a short business trip to Chicago this week. (Everyone can now sigh the collective, "awwwww".) So, that put me on Beast duty. And kid duty. And losin' my ever lovin' mind duty.

Oh yes, my friends, Monk owes me. Actually, he is suffering enough as it was snowing in Chicago yesterday and he is freezing his bald little head off because he forgot a hat! Ha! But I miss him so much, I'll forget that I had to do Beast duty.

Okay, so I digress.

Anyway, I have to take Harley to Obedience School. Alone. Or so I thought. My totally sweet, real life friend, Keri (who was actually Harley's original owner), went with me.

Oh, the fun we had! Laughing at the stupidity of some of these people, that is. We probably weren't the most mature people there. Ahem. (See, it's the whole owner being like the dog - dog being like the owner thing again -and I wonder why he's a spaz)

But interestingly enough, I've written 4 different posts of what we saw last night and I had to delete them all. Why? Because they just sounded mean. Seriously. I like to poke fun at lots of things (anyone remember Prenatal Yoga?), thus my warped sense of humor. But when I can't even write a post describing the events of the previous evening without sounding mean, then you all have to trust me when I say there was some serious stupidity going on in that training room.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.

I will, however, brag on Harley. I'm usually complaining about his misbehavin' ways, but last night? He was awesome! Hands down the smartest dog in the class. Monk had been telling me this for the past 3 weeks, but I couldn't get past the whole, you know...chewing on the couch thing.

Anyway, he was not only smart, but he is a SCHMOOZER, big time! He knew the trainer had treats and let me tell you, that dog can put on a show for a Pup-Peroni treat (And again! Dog like owner, owner-like dog thing. Monk will do anything for some bacon). I have to honestly say, I came away impressed.

So, old Harley has earned a reprieve in my book and will live another day. That is unless he chews any other furniture.

And as for me and Obedience School? Well, I'll just let Monk stick to the dog training and I'll stick to staying home with the children and baking.

If had to keep going, I might have to buy this shirt and wear it.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I would have loved to have heard the stupid dog owner stories. It's very funny how people are about their ideas of what I dog should be. And then they think we're freaks for being so strict with ours. Well, the neighborhood should thank us that we don't let our dogs stop & stiff when we walk because that keeps from any "treats" being left behind.

We're still working on Keira but she's almost 9 months old & is making progress. Although after she decided to chew the corner of a pillow off my couch this morning I'm wondering how well she really is progressing!