Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Can You Hear Me? I'm Crunchy!







Some of you are scratching your heads and saying, "huh?". Others are nodding in agreement and saying, "right on, sistah". Let me elaborate by saying I'm not talkin' peanut butter. I just liked the picture.


My definition of "crunchy" refers to someone going back to a more natural way of doing things. It's not just about organic food, even though that is part of it. It's about a lifestyle. It's about consciously choosing not to take the easy path, but reevaluating everything you've been taught and deciding what is best for your family. And no, I'm not a hippie. Although, I do like big earrings if that means anything. Hmmm...

Here is a list of what makes me crunchy:

-Natural birth. I used a midwife at a birth center. I did not do this with my other 4 children. I can't begin to tell you how much I loved this way of giving birth. I posted about how we came to this decision here.

-Breastfeeding. What can I say? God gave us the best way of nourishing our babies! That is just so awesome! That was a crunchy no-brainer for me.

-Cloth Diapering. We love our Fuzzi Bunz! I didn't know anyone who used cloth diapers when we came to this decision, I just did a lot of research. My bloggy friend Beth has great posts about cloth diapering. Because of the particular diaper we use, there was an initial investment, but in the long run it still saves us moola.

-Co-Sleeping. We wouldn't have it any other way! This is just something we have always done. It came naturally to us and we didn't even know we were being crunchy!

- Baby wearing. I am the proud owner of The Ultimate Baby Wrap and a Hot Sling -which I recently purchased and LOVE! I've done baby wearing in the past, but didn't have the access or the knowledge of these great products. I plan on posting pictures one of these days.

- Non-Vaxing. I may lose what little readership I have over this one. I have my reasons, which are just that - my reasons. I will not debate this issue. I will say that I've had a child that's had a reaction and I don't want it to happen again. To me, the benefits far outweigh the game of Russian roulette that is played when vaxing. Again, just my opinion. I am in no way judging anyone else for their choices for their families. Please give me the same respect.

-Organic Food. Let me just start by saying, no, we don't eat all organic and yes, we still purchase a Happy Meal on occasion. Frankly, I just can't afford to eat all organic. However, I can afford to make some dietary changes and that I have done. Some things I do buy on a regular basis that are organic are chicken broth and sugar. I buy these things in bulk at Costco and it is relatively cost friendly. I do try and make a lot of our dessert items and snacks from scratch. I then know there are no partially hydrogenated oils in our cookies. I also don't use margarine, but the ever more flavorful and natural BUTTAH! Olive and coconut oils are a favorite as well.

Well, that's it. That is my Crunchy Mama post. Interestingly enough, a mere 5 years ago I couldn't have posted this. I guess I'm a late bloomer. At any rate, now y'all either love me, hate me or are still scratching your heads and saying, "I don't get it".

Can you hear me now?

7 comments:

Michelle said...

testing comments

mindi said...

Well, I think you should do what you feel is best for your family. I don't condemn those who don't vax, or choose not to nurse their little ones. They are missing out on something special, BUT it's their family and their choice.
So, keep on and be happy with your choices!!

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

"It's about consciously choosing not to take the easy path, but reevaluating everything you've been taught and deciding what is best for your family." - I'm CRUNCHY! Yay. :-D Loved your post.

I'd like to look further into the vax/non-vax issue because I really don't know anything other than various opinions and doctor recommendations, of course. We're a vax family b/c that's what my mama did. :-) I'd love it if you did a non-vax What I Believe post explaining why you choose that path! When your three brain cells have had a rest, that is. :-D

Anonymous said...

Cheers for you, Michelle! We hosted a get-together for part of our family recently returned from overseas. They'd had "digestive issues," so everyone was delighted to see all the "crunchy" foods (fresh, non-greasy, undoctored items) on my table. I like your "crunchy" label for all kinds of natural living! Desert Lady

nannykim said...

Yes--I think it is particularly challenging here in the US to reevaluate everything--some things we don't even think about evaluating unless someone brings it to our attention (we have been so programed -sp?),...It is a good challenge ;-)

Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

About baby wearing-- Have you tried the Ergo yet? *Awesome!!!*

My fav "carry" for my first two (once they were past bitty, when I loved my fixed sling) was "tutu," the back-carry you see Eskimo women do (my MIL grew up in Barrow, AK, so she taught it to me with my first).

The Ergo lets me do the carry I love most with more comfort that the traditional jacket and belt. And I can carry my bigger kids too.

Worth checking out if you're a carrier junkie!

Michelle said...

Amy Jane,

The Ergo was actually my first choice, but my chiropractor said it wasn't the *best* choice for me because of certain back issues. She also doesn't like what it does to an childs legs while they are in the carrier (I believe it's the separation). I don't remember for sure.

I would still love to try one just out of curiostity though. While the Ultimate Baby Wrap doesn't hurt my back, my Hot Sling puts some pressure on my neck and shoulder after a carrying a while.

I'm so glad to have met another junkie!