Monday, February 11, 2008

Television Talk - The Next Installment Part IV

It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccckkkkk! I bet y'all are just begging for me to talk about cinnamon rolls and not the television, huh?

Too bad.

I started this Bad Boy and now I must finish it. But I will trickle in some pictures of food and such because I did make more cinnamon rolls this past Saturday and y'all know what I did?

I made pink icing! I did! It was so cute! You are fraught with excitement, are you not?


Alright, time to get back to the good stuff, so here we go.


6. Infinite amounts of mindless drivel.

5. Infinite amounts of inappropriate, s*xual content.


Yes, I'm doing two together. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can argue against either one of these points. However, I do realize that "mindless drivel" is subjective and what one might consider okay, another would not. I also realize that there are shows out there (few and far between) that are fairly harmless. Most of these shows are not your regular network television sitcoms and dramas which are the ones that I have HUGE issues with where Christians are involved. So, I'll skip my subjective opinions on mindless drivel and skip right to #5.

Network television sitcoms are ripe with blasphemy, s*xual content and a laundry list of other inappropriate content that NO Christian should even consider watching. Two years ago I probably didn't feel this way. In the process of my own sanctification I began examing my life and looking for sinful areas. This is where I found them. This verse would play over and over in my head while I was watching "my shows".

Phi 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

I went to Scripture and that is what I found. How could I watch certain shows while asking myself, "is this pure thinking? Is this lovely?". I just couldn't justify it any longer. Then there was this:

2Ti 2:21 Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work. 2Ti 2:22 So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.

I loved mysteries, crime shows, reality shows and comedies. Unfortunately, these were the ones that seemed to be the most offensive, especially in the area of s*xual content. I wanted God to use me, to be a vessel for His honorable use. So, I let them go.

So am I perfect or "holier than thou" because I chose to let "my shows" go? Have mercy, no! Trust me, there are plenty of other areas in my life that I need to look at and examine more closely, this was just my personal story on the television. Again, I'm not attempting to judge anyone, just asking folks to think is all.

I've said it before and I will say it again - television is a slippery slope. When we begin having to justify why we watch something or we find ourselves saying oh, it's really not that bad - this is when we should really begin to examine what we are viewing. If we will consistently hold ourselves to a Biblical standard then I think many of us would reconsider what we put into our minds.

I probably mislabeled #5. It should have listed more than just s*xual innuendo. There are plenty of other inappropriate reasons for questioning our viewing options.


4. My children become deaf and dumb when watching.

This is definitely a personal reason. If you're scratching your head because you don't remember what I said about children and television, then please go here. This should clear things up nicely for you.

When my children are hypnotized by the big black box of death, they hear nothing. Their responses become a cross between low grunts and frantic muttering. How dare I, their mother, interrupt their viewing enjoyment. This just screams addiction. Not to mention their obedience goes out the window. How can one obey mom when they must catch the end of their show?!

Can anyone remember the 5th commandment? It's the first one with a promise.

I can promise y'all this - when kids get in front of the television they will stop obeying the first time. I know this first hand. And it sends me to the moon! It's hard enough to train my children to listen to me when they're not distracted, much less having to compete with some superhero gerbil.

I do understand this is another subjective area, so please, not too many tomatoes!

Ahhhhhhh, a big sigh out as we have only 3 more points to go!! Woo-hoo!

Can you all bear with me through 3 more points? Have I offended to no end? Have I made anyone think differently yet? Am I totally off my rocker (okay, well that's status quo, so maybe I should rephrase that one!)? Keep the chatter going - it's good for all of us!

p.s If this post seems a little disjointed, it is. Please forgive my lack of thorough, well thought out points. My brain is mush and I'm trying to catch up on some sleep.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I haven't commented since your first TV post, but I have been reading!

I think it's pretty hard to disagree with your points. WillIwatch less TV myself? I don't watch that much, so probably not. However, what you said about kids really rang true. I will be cracking down on my 3.5year olds TV time.

Thanks for the thought provoking series.

Shelly said...

I'm gonna actually just comment on Point #6 since I can't relate to #4 yet & there really is no way to argue #5.

There have definitely been shows where I wonder "why do I watch this" because it's just pointless entertainment that doesn't do much to my mind. But I love the mysteries (like Lost!) where I have to think it through & figure it out. Jedi & I are like that with movies, too. We can't just see a movie & have no critique of it. We discuss it & break it apart. If only we could get paid to do that!