Friday, October 05, 2007

The End of a Long Friendship

Good friends are hard to find. It seems they are hard to lose as well.

This week I had to end a long friendship. A friendship I have had since childhood. This particular friend, like me, was always a little nutty. She still is. So am I. I suppose this is why I loved her so.

Unfortunately, this friend has not been good for me. I probably knew it all these years, but I loved her so dearly that I couldn't bear to end the relationship. Even as a child, my mother would tell me she was a problem. I would steer clear for a while, but I always went back to her.

I guess I found comfort in her in some strange way. I've known her so long that I can't imagine life without her. But for my own sake I have had to say goodbye.

I'm embarrassed to say my husband has even commented that I'm around her too much. Especially this week. Most of my children don't even like her. Can you believe that? What's a girl to do?

I'd be lying if I said I won't miss her. I will terribly, but for mine and my family's health I have to let go.





Goodbye Little Debbie. You've been a good friend. A nutty, faithful friend all these years. But alas, all good things must come to an end. Don't take it personally. It's mostly just 'cause you're makin' me fat.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

She is a hard friend to part from! Those things are so fun to eat though! I would take them apart layer by layer!

mindi said...

Little Debbie will ALWAYS be my friend!