Thursday, July 03, 2008

I'm A Yankee Doodle Dandy. An Old One.

Yep. I was born on the 4th of July. I've had more red, white and blue cakes than Uncle Sam, himself.

I've heard ALL of the funny little quips, as well.
1. Your mom was havin' a blast the day you were born. ( oh. ha. ha. good one.)
2. No wonder you have red hair. ( yep. all babies born on the 4th have red hair)
3. I bet you were a firecracker. ( oh stop. my sides are hurting.)

Most of the time I really enjoy my birthday. But this year involves a little fear and trepidation. I'm not real thrilled with the age I'm turning. No, it's not 40.

Its 39.

Stop laughing. It's not funny.

I know some who embrace getting older. I'm not one of them. It represents and new stage in my life that frankly, I'm not ready to venture into yet. I'm not a lover of change. Unless of course it involves a newborn baby and then I say bring it on. One never tires of newborn babies. Oh yes, and shoes. I'm always in the mood for different shoes.

What's crazy about getting is older is that while my numbers keep changing, my head and my heart seem to think that I'm still in my late 20's. However, the lines that are starting to etch themselves between my eyebrows are starting to convince me otherwise. Oh yeah, and the varicose veins that have taken up permanent residence one my thighs. Now those are definitely not funny.

In retrospect though, I think about my past birthdays and I realize it's just another day. The day after my birthday I don't feel any different. I don't all of a sudden wake up say, "Sweet mercy, I'm feeling arthritic today". It is simply the day after my birthday.

I can do the logic, I just can't practice it. Oi.

What I do know is that I'm happy, healthy and have a great family. I realize all of that can change on a dime, but for now, I need to enjoy what I have and stop obsessing over a number. A number involving a 3 and a 9. Ugh, I'm doing it again, huh?

So tomorrow I'll have my family over and we will eat large quantities of food. But this year I'm not having a red, white and blue cake. Nope. I'm having red, white and blue CUPCAKES. Big, ginormous ones from Costco! We'll eat and laugh and let off a few fireworks. It'll be fun. And when I wake up on July 5th, guess what? It'll just be another day.

I'll be 39 years old with a 16 year old, a 15 year old, an 8 year old, a 5 year old an 11 month old and PREGNANT!

Now that's funny!
Have a Happy 4th, y'all!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah....to be 39 again. Your right, it's just a number. If you can be pregnant with 5 other children at 39 then I say more power to ya!!! The big 5-0 is right around the corner for me, so close I can smell it sister! So enjoy your day, eat a cupcake for me, kiss all the kids for me and have a great, happy, awesome birthday!! Wish I could be there!
Love, T.

Christine said...

Happy Birthday, Michelle! I hope that you have a blast!

Anonymous said...

39...oh please! You don't look a day over...hmm...38! LOL Just kidding. It's just a number. You're still as sassy as you've always been girl. Get a grip! Love ya!

mindi said...

Happy Birthday!!!!
You have a beautiful family - you look so young in your photos, I never would have guessed!!
Except that you have said so before . . . but really, you're in the prime time :D

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday Michelle! Sorry I missed it. May this year bring so many blessings you lose count!

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Girl! Happy Birthday! You are so full of life - you are vibrant, fun, living an incredible life! Enjoy this year :)

We won't talk about the numbers, now will we :) They simply don't exist.

-Andrea