Thursday, May 14, 2009

Still Here...Barely

It's been one of those weeks, y'all.

I'm tired, overwhelmed and extremely behind on almost everything. I'm not complaining, just trying to adjust to the new normal. Which around here is never normal, so maybe it's just the new...weird.

I would, however, like to tell you one story though before I go back into my catatonic state...

I went to take some maternity pictures this last Tuesday night at the local Botanic Gardens in Fort Worth. I chose this beautiful spot by a pond and sat my little Pregnant Momma down on a rock. It was perfect; sunny day, shimmering water, good lighting (I think), etc...

Well.

I step back from the momma and I hear some rustling. I happen to look down and directly behind the rock where I have just sat the very Pregnant Momma and about 2 feet from my foot there lies ...

A BIG 'OL FAT BLACK SNAKE, Y'ALL!!!!!!!

It had to have been about 1 1/2 inches around and at least 5 feet long! {{{shiver}}} There he sat, all coiled up, flicking his little tongue out at me. My first instinct was to run screaming like a mad woman, yelling, "Snake! Snake! Run for you lives!!". However, I managed to refrain from completely losing my composure. And my bladder.

Aren't you proud?

I quickly stepped forward, looked Pregnant Momma directly in the eye, put out my hand and very calmly said, "you need to take my hand and stand up, NOW". Pregnant Momma didn't bat and eye and did exactly as she was told. I do believe she knew by my firm tone and possibly the petrified look on my face that something was seriously wrong.

Once safely on the sidewalk, we both shuddered profusely...ahem...some of us more than others (ME! ME! ME!) Quite honestly, it was one of those situations where I wanted to turn in circles while shuddering and wiping off imaginary creep crawlies from all over my body. And more than likely yelling, "EWWWWWWWW!!!!".

But I wasn't scared.

Needless to say, I don't remember much about the pictures after that point. I had become rather obsessed with looking everywhere I stepped! Unfortunately, I had also become less concerned with ISO's and apertures and more concerned with, you know...BIG, FAT BLACK SNAKES! So much for reckless inhibition.

Have I mentioned I'm terrified of snakes?

Then, in hindsight I was really mad that I didn't take a picture of the BIG, FAT BLACK SNAKE to post on here. I wanted to freak y'all out. Cause I like that whole "shock value" sorta thing.

Anyway, that's pretty much been the whole week around here. I hope everyone else's week has been awesome and has had no BIG, FAT BLACK SNAKES! Or bladder control issues. That's always good.

Have a great weekend, y'all!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I have goose bumps as I'm typing this!! I HATE snakes. In fact, 99% of my nightmares (all my life) have involved snakes. You stayed FAR more composed than I would have! That would be enough to make it one of "those" weeks!!!
(the mother's day pic is priceless:))

Jill said...

Still shivering about slithering things......{{shiver}}. Glad both you and the pregnant momma are ok. Hope you don't have many more photo shoots like that or you may need to get your midwife license! That is one way to speed along delivery!

The Sappingtons said...

LOL! It definetely was a BIG snake and you did a great job maintaining enough composure to get me off that rock!!! Unfortunately, the shock value wasn't enough to send me into labor as I'm still 'great' with child....sigh. Just as well, since it's not QUITE time for him to be born! :) We did have fun though at The Gardens with you and do hope you got some good pics despite the creepy crawly slithering beast we encountered!
OH, talked to my midwife...she's EXCITED that you want to do birth pics. She said she almost considered doing that as well (instead of midwife-ing...or whatever you call it... :)