Friday, November 18, 2005

Thanksgiving ponderings...

I love Thanksgiving. I love this whole season. I love the colors, the weather, the whole kit-n-kaboodle! What really irks me though is how it just seems as if it gets skipped over. I guess it's just not a notable --read: profitable -- enough holiday. An Old Fashioned Girl has some interesting ponderings in her comments on this as well.

I really think that as a nation we have lost our thankfulness for what we have now and how we arrived here. As a consumer driven society we simply do not have enough. So why be thankful, right? I am constantly reminding the mini-Monks of all the things for which we should be thankful. I remind them so much that sometimes I will get an occasional eye roll from the two older ones (which never happens without a mini-sermon from me concerning respect :) )

Col 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

I want Thanksgiving to be about more than just food and football. Oh, and let's not forget the Macy's Parade either! The Mad Monk and I want to have traditions that can be passed on for generations. We would like for Thanksgiving to be just that -- a time for thanks to God for all he has done. We both have family's, whom we love very much by the way, that really don't see things as we do. We would probably get eye rolls of monstrous proportions from some of them if we were to ask everyone to hold hands and tell why they are thankful.

So, the question remains: what are we to do? 1. Do we continue on in our traditionless manner and enjoy the holidays with our families while trying to incorporate thankfulness? 2. Or do we break away from family completely (for at least a portion of the day) and create a God-centered tradition that is all our own? I think you already know my answer yet the problem still remains as how to go about doing this without hurting feelings and offending.

Psa 18:49 Therefore will I give thanks unto thee, O LORD, among the heathen, and sing praises unto thy name.

Hmmm...maybe #1 will work, afterall.

No comments: