Thursday, January 05, 2006

My Alter Ego

I have a confession to make. I have an alter ego.

Let me say first and foremost, I love my role that God has so graciously given me. My duty to God in serving my family would cause a lot of women to scoff and mock. Me? I say, bring it on. Which leads others to scratch their heads when they discover my...Dun! Dun! Dun! (that was supposed to be my dark music)...alter ego.

While I love and embrace being a wife and mother, my alter ego would cause most women in Reformed circles to shudder at the mere thought. A side that usually shocks and bewilders other men. A side that The Mad Monk finds ...well...um... I haven't used this kind of language since public high school, but here it goes...... totally COOL!

I love College Football.

There, I said it. I unabashedly proclaim my love for the barbaric game that involves a spherically shaped pig skin and big men bashing their heads together. I can't help it. It has to be some kind of genetically, mutated gene. I've tried to shake the habit, but when I hear the words "Big Ten" I'm drawn to the television like Martha Stewart is to prison ..er..I mean a room full of pretty flowers.

Whew! Now that my secret is out, let me just say...Did you all watch that game last night? Longhorns 41. USC 38. Hook'em Horns! Wow! What a come from behind victory for my Longhorns. Vince Young was just incredible. Not only passing for over 200 yards, but rushing for over 200 yards as well!

We almost went to bed when Texas was behind by 12, but we my ds and I (not The Mad Monk) continued to show our support on our favorite team. Where was The Mad Monk, you ask? Oh, well he did what he normally does during a sporting event when his team is pressed for luck in a tight spot. He tucked tail and ran. Yep, I believe his exact words were, "I'm going to bed". Not until he heard our whoops and hollers (as much as one can with bronchitis, of course) when Texas closed in on the score did he come back to the room to watch the final 3 minutes. Of which, in my humble opinion, the last 19 seconds will go down in college football infamy!

There you have it. I love college football (not professional). I love the Texas Longhorns (not the Dallas Cowboys). And I love a great game like the won that was played last night!

...maybe tomorrow I'll post some of my favorite football friendly recipes.

side note: I love my sweet hubby despite his inability to watch his favorite teams in a pinch. He understands my ultra-competitive personality and loves me anyway. In his defense, he did buy me medicine and put the mini-Monks to bed last night. He's a great guy...just a wimpy fan!

No comments: