Friday, June 02, 2006

The Garden

I mentioned in that long ago April 22nd post that we had planted a garden. It was only a thought in my head at Christmas. I had pre-selected the spot in my yard and set out to learn everything I could in starting an organic garden. Here is my plot of soil in the backyard I selected for our garden Then, after returning from Tennessee in March, I rented a tiller and the 14yo strapping boy and I set out to whip that piece of soil in submission. After much tilling, weed pulling, rock-chucking, 5 bags of organic compost, 1 bag of lava sand and a half bag of dried molasses we were ready to plant! We planted 15 tomato, 4 zucchini, 4 yellow squash, 4 spaghetti squash, okra, pickling cucumbers, green beans and watermelon! After alot of sweat and few visits to the chiropractor this is how the final project looked. Not bad for beginners, huh? You can even see the small compost pile in the back.
Lo, and behold, we can actually grow things! Who would have ever thought? (insert head scratching here) Some of our "supposed" zucchini squash ended up being calabaza or mexican squash, but we were still thankful! Here were our first fruits. We promptly cut them, cooked them and ate them!
We are now to the point to where we are up to our ears in squash. We have learned a few lessons along the way as well. First of all, when the back of the seed package says space the plants 3 feet apart...there is a reason. Secondly, when a more experienced gardener tells you that squash will take over a garden...believe them! We are not quite to the point to where people are running from us when they see us coming with bags of squash, but I'm sure they will be soon! The family is still enjoying the plentiful loaves of zucchini bread as well!
We currently have about 36 green tomatoes so I'm sure I'll be canning those in the next month or so and then I can fill you in on that adventure. Today we discovered two tiny little watermelon and one little cucumber -yeah! I hope to post pictures soon of our hilariously overgrown garden! It's quite comical actually. Next year ---new plan---same amount of stuff--ALOT bigger area!
One thing is for sure. God has truly blessed us in this venture. On a daily basis our family is seeing His bountiful provision and His glorious work of creation right before our eyes!

Genesis 1:12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. Posted by Picasa

No comments: